USC students are always on the move. And now with USC Village open, they’ve never had more room to roam. The complex added more than 2,500 beds to campus housing and extended the University Park Campus north of Jefferson Boulevard. It also brought increased traffic across Jefferson—by foot, skateboard, scooter and bike, to be specific—as thousands of students make the daily trek between home and classes.
Luckily, planners thought ahead.
One of the most prominent entrances to the University Park Campus along Jefferson has been reimagined with native plants and new paving, creating a seamless link from Trousdale Parkway to USC Village. The entrance—between the Joint Educational Project House and the Amy King Dundon-Berchtold University Club at King Stoops Hall—stands where an asphalt parking lot (inset) once capped the northern end of Trousdale. The cars are long gone, but the Alumni Memorial Pylon, standing since 1932, still remains.
Elsewhere along Jefferson, jacaranda trees, benches and light fixtures have made the busy thoroughfare more welcoming and friendly to pedestrians. Another smaller entrance to the campus threads between the USC Kaufman School of Dance and the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC and leads north across Jefferson, offering an inviting crosswalk to USC Village from Watt Way.